Protect Yourself with Award-Winning Mosquito Control from Viking
Mosquito populations are increasing rapidly across the United States, making mosquito control more and more of a priority for home and business owners. Luckily, Viking Pest offers award-winning mosquito protection to New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and the Eastern Shore of Maryland residents.
Did you know that as many as 1 million people die from a mosquito-borne disease each year?
Fortunately, most of the most dangerous mosquito-borne diseases are found on the other side of the Atlantic. However, hundreds of US Citizens still contract serious diseases like West Nile Virus from mosquito bites yearly. Learn the how’s and why’s of keeping your family safe from Mosquitos in this blog.
Why Worry About Mosquitos?
The main reason mosquitoes are so dangerous is how easily they spread diseases. Over 50% of the global population is currently at risk of contracting mosquito-transmitted ailments including
- West Nile Virus
- Yellow fever
- Lymphatic filariasis
- Canine Heartworm
Even more concerning is that some of these diseases, such as West Nile Virus, are spreading faster than ever. And while most people infected by these diseases will survive, they can still suffer long-lasting adverse effects on their quality of life.
Mosquito Populations Are Growing
Another reason mosquitoes are a significant problem is that they reproduce rapidly. Human changes to land and natural ecosystems have led to a marked increase in mosquito numbers over the last decade. In some areas of the US, mosquito populations have increased as much as four-fold.
Moreover, mosquitoes reproduce quickly. A female mosquito lays around 100 eggs at a time. These eggs are relatively sturdy, face little threat, and can mature in as little as 8-10 days.
Mosquitoes Are Resilient
While there are many effective forms of DIY mosquito control, studies show that some are losing their effectiveness. Certain mosquitoes have developed resistance to DEET, which is a critical component in many bug sprays. Those mosquitos that no longer smell DEET have passed this trait on to their offspring, which then pass it on to the next generation.
If you have a population of mosquitoes around your home, you may want to investigate more comprehensive and effective mosquito control methods.
How to Prevent Mosquito-Borne Diseases
While there are a variety of preventative measures you can take to avoid mosquito bites, the only way to completely prevent mosquito-borne diseases is to avoid being bitten altogether. Here are some preventive techniques you can use to prevent mosquito bites and, by extension, mosquito-borne diseases:
- Clothing: When going outside in an area with mosquitoes, wear long clothes that cover your skin.
- Yard Guard: Yard Guard from Viking Pest Control is an excellent form of tick and mosquito protection for your property. It is an efficient outdoor treatment that prevents these insects from breeding. Forbes Home recently rated Viking as one of the best mosquito control companies in the country.
- Time Your Activities: If you plan outdoor events, try to schedule them after dawn and before dusk, as these are the peak hours of mosquito activity.
- Mosquito-Proof Your Home: Ensure all your windows have intact screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering. Don't leave doors or unscreened windows open!
- Repellents: While some repellents are losing their efficacy against certain mosquitoes, you can generally still use repellents when spending time in mosquito-populated spaces to attract fewer mosquitoes and reduce your chances of contracting a disease.
Though small in size, mosquitos are the deadliest animals in the world. Applying these prevention strategies can protect yourself and your family from mosquito-borne diseases.
Viking is proud to offer award-winning treatment designed to control and prevent mosquitoes from invading your home or business effectively and efficiently. A top-five Forbes Home Best Mosquito Control Company, Viking is ready to protect your property against these invaders. Our use of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques focuses on finding the core of the pest concern and controlling Mosquitos from the source. Get in touch with us today for your FREE and NO OBLIGATION estimate at 1-800-618-2847 or Schedule Online today!