MICE ARE SEEKING SHELTER IN HOMES
With all of the excitement of the fall season, it is easy to be distracted by carving pumpkins, picking apples, and baking fall treats. But if you are not paying close attention to your home, it is possible that a mouse will slide through the cracks and leave you with a dangerous mouse infestation in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, or the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The good news is that there are many rodent-proofing tips to go along with your regular pest control services, which can help to keep your home rodent free this fall and winter.
The reason that the fall time brings an increased chance of a mouse infestation is due to the shift in weather. As the air becomes crisper, mice begin to look for a place that offers food, water and warm shelter so they can survive through the winter. And since mice are commensal creatures it means that they thrive in human environments like our homes.
Get a Fast, Free Estimate
But the problem with having mice, even though they are so small is that they threaten the health and safety of you, your family and your home itself. Mice are known to spread many diseases including the potentially fatal respiratory disease, Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. They also contaminate food and surfaces from their urine and droppings. And let’s not forget their constant gnawing, which causes insulation contamination, structural damages as well as the risk of a fire if they find electrical equipment.
So, how can you tell if you have a mouse, or several in your home? Here are some signs that the rodent control experts at Viking Pest Control advise to keep an eye out for:
- Droppings in places like cupboards, pantries, and the attic as well as throughout the home.
- Nests made of materials from outside and your own belongings.
- Gnawing marks on structures of the home as well as furniture and food containers.
- You can hear noise at night like small critters running through the walls or overhead in ceilings.
Before you begin to notice the signs of a mouse infestation in your home, it is recommended that you follow these rodent proofing tips to prevent any problems for you and your family this fall.
- Seal off all exterior cracks and holes along the foundation, windows and doors.
- Make sure that all open food is stored in airtight containers.
- Take the trash out regularly and keep in bins with locking lids.
- Keep your kitchen clean of crumbs and spills and food surfaces disinfected.
- Keep entry and garage doors closed when not in use.
- Eliminate clutter in attics and storage areas.
When it comes to mice, you do not want to take any chances. So if you are living in NJ, PA, MD, or DE , then make sure to contact Viking Pest Control today for more information on mouse control as well as our year round Home Protection Plans.