Are you dealing with a swarm of fruit flies in your Montclair home? Do bottle flies keep showing up in your Livingston home? Are you fighting gnats in Glen Ridge? It isn’t surprising. Fly infestations are a problem throughout Essex County. But they don’t have to be. There are actually a few simple ways you can protect against house flies, bottle flies, fruit flies, gnats, and more. Take a look.
Before Flies Get In
We often deal with flies “after” they are a problem. We swat them with a swatter. We string fly tape from the ceiling. And we put out jars of apple cider vinegar to reduce populations. But these are not the best way to deal with flies. By the time you apply these fly control methods, these insects have already had a chance to spread harmful bacteria around your home. Try these tips to keep them from coming in, in the first place:
- Make sure all exterior trash is in sealed containers. This will prevent the smells from luring flies onto your property. Fewer flies around the outside of your home will help to reduce unwanted entry through open doors.
- Screens are your frontline defense against flies. Do routine inspections, and repair any damaged screens.
- Put compost well away from your foundation perimeter. Flies are drawn to compost.
- Sometimes we accidentally carry flies in. This is especially the case with fruit flies and fungus gnats. When you purchase fruit, be sure to put that fruit in the fridge instead of on the kitchen table. This will prevent any fruit fly eggs from hatching in your home. If you have potted plants that you bring inside during the winter, be aware that this can bring fungus gnats into your home.
- Partner with a pest management professional to reduce ALL insect pests around your home.
Get a Fast, Free Estimate
At Viking, we offer Home Protection Plans to reduce and eliminate unwanted bugs, insects, and rodents.This program includes careful inspections, preventative measures, pest management reports, and unlimited service requests throughout the year for covered pests under your plan. While flies are not a major threat, there are many other pests that can present a significant danger to your health, belongings, and home equity. Consider scheduling a no-cost, no-obligation inspection and find out what pest pressures you’re dealing with. Give us a call to get started.