INSECT PROBLEMS INCREASE AFTER FLOODING
As flood waters from hurricane Irene recede, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Eastern Shore of Maryland residents should be on the lookout for problems with insect and animal pests. Floods can force the relocation of pest populations, cause unexpected changes in pest behavior and encourage certain pest populations to multiply, warn your local pest control professionals at Viking Pest Control. After a flood, animal and insect pests can become a problem in places where homeowners and work crews don’t expect to find them, placing unwary humans at risk.
.Get a Fast, Free Estimate
What Pests Should I Be on the Lookout for After a Flood?
- Flooding creates ideal breeding conditions for mosquitoes. Within a week or two of flooding, huge growth in mosquito populations can increase your risk of contracting mosquito-borne diseases such as West Nile Virus. Sudden increases in mosquito populations can also cause these stinging insects to be more prevalent during the day. When going outdoors, wear long sleeves and pants to protect yourself and use a bug spray that contains DEET.
- Large groups of wasps and yellowjackets may congregate in NJ, PA, MD, or DE yards after flooding and be seen hovering just above the ground. Wasps are insect eaters. After a flood, they gorge themselves on grubs forced to the surface by high water.
- The carcasses of dead animals and garbage caught in flood waters provide ideal breeding grounds for house flies, phorid flies, blow flies and other filth flies that lay their eggs in carrion and rotting food. Large populations of disease-carrying adults can emerge in about a week.
- Advancing flood waters force mice and rats to seek shelter in homes and buildings. As water rises, they will move into upper floors.
- Saturated ground forces disease-bearing cockroaches into homes.
- Trees damaged by floods draw carpenter ants, termites and other wood-destroying insects.
If you are experiencing problems with insect or animal pests after the recent flooding, contact your local pest control experts at Viking Pest Control to eliminate the problem.