HOW TO REPEL MOSQUITOES AT HOME AND AWAY
It is still that time of year when mosquitoes in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland are out for our blood! And they aren’t showing signs of stopping just yet which means that we need to continue to prevent them from taking over our backyard as well as leaving us with itchy, red welts. And although it is pretty much impossible to get rid of every last mosquito, there are plenty of ways in which you can prevent them from taking over the backyard and eating you alive when you are out this summer.
Get a Fast, Free Estimate
What Can I Do To Prevent Mosquitoes?
When it comes to the backyard, the main issue is removing any source of standing water which is what mosquitoes need to breed. When they have no place to breed, they will not be as large of a problem and you will actually be able to enjoy your backyard.
- Remove anything on your property that collects water including toys, cans, and plant pots.
- Clear out the gutters so that they do not pile up with water and debris.
- If the ditch has stagnant water, be sure to dig it out until water is flowing.
- Keep covers on pools and hot tubes when they are not being used.
Since we are often on the go during the summer, mosquitoes are not just a problem in our backyards. They find us on hikes, camping trips, at the lake and pretty much anywhere you travel. So to help prevent mosquito bites while you are enjoying the outdoors, here are some more useful tips:
- Wear clothing that covers the legs and arms even when it is warm outside (you’ll be grateful with less bare skin and mosquitoes chasing after you).
- Consider a mosquito net hat for when you have to spend time in a highly infested area.
- Apply insect repellent when necessary.
- Avoid spending a lot of time outside during the peak mosquito times which are dawn and dusk.
By following these tips, you will be able to really enjoy your time outside this summer and into the fall rather than spending it flailing your arms and running away from mosquitoes. Keep in mind that not only are their bites itchy and irritating, mosquitoes can also transmit diseases such as West Nile virus.
For residents who are tired of battling mosquitoes you local mosquito control experts at Viking Pest Control are ready to step in. Offering a customized pest control program suited for your home and family’s safety, Viking Pest Control can help to eliminate mosquito breeding sites and prevent mosquitoes from trying to take over your property. Learn more about our Yard Guard Mosquito and Tick Protection today!