HOW TO KEEP ANTS AWAY THIS SUMMER
Ants are fascinating creatures! Did you know that ants are the longest living insect, with some living up to 30 years? Did you know that, in relation to its size, the ant is one of the world’s strongest creatures? It’s true. Some ants can actually support up to one HUNDRED times their own weight while clinging upside down on glass! And did you know that ants have two stomachs? Yup. One is to hold food for themselves, and one is to hold food for others.
These facts about ants are interesting, but did you know that other facts about ants are disturbing? For instance, carpenter ants cause billions of dollars of damage in North America alone, every year. Carpenter ants burrow into the support structures of homes and can cause extensive damage if left untreated. If you are seeing ants in your home, you may want to consider the following prevention tips to keep those ants out:
- Clean, clean, clean. Ants are attracted to food particles, so cleaning your home and focusing on areas where food particles are present, such as kitchens, pantries and teenager’s bedrooms, will go a long way toward discouraging ants from sticking around. Don’t forget places like the bottom of the toaster or hard-to-reach spots, such as under the fridge or between the stove and counter.
- Immediately wipe up spills and vacuum regularly.
- Avoid leaving dirty dishes around. If you can’t wash them immediately, place them in a sink full of soapy water.
Get a Fast, Free Estimate
- Wipe off jars of honey, jam, etc, before putting them in the pantry or keep them in the refrigerator. Whenever possible, store foods in the fridge or in tightly sealed containers.
- Keep your home as dry as possible. If ants can’t find water, they are less likely to stay. Fix any leaky pipes or fixtures, and use dehumidifiers or fans to reduce moisture.
- Search the outside of your home and carefully seal any gaps or cracks in your foundation or walls. Ants don’t need much of a space to crawl through.
- Trim vegetation, bushes, and tree branches away from your home. Ants and other pests use these as bridges to get inside.
- Keep the area around your home free from moisture.
Did you know that some ants can swim, some ants have no eyes, and some ant species actually make slaves out of other ant species? It is no doubt that ants are fascinating creatures. But do you know what else is fascinating? How simple it is to keep them out of your home with help from Viking Pest. With over 40 years of keeping ants and countless other pests, out of NJ, PA, MD, and DE homes, Viking Pest is the way to go. Reach out to Viking Pest today, and get that ant problem solved.