FLOOD WATERS SEND MICE SCURRYING INTO HOMES
Mice and rats are a frequent fall problem for New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Eastern Shore of Maryland home owners, but flooding from hurricane Irene has exacerbated the problem in many areas, causing rodents to invade homes weeks ahead of schedule. Mice and rats typically begin to seek warm winter shelter inside garages, attics and homes toward the end of September and early October when outdoor food sources disappear and temperatures dip toward freezing. This year, however, flooding caused by hurricane Irene’s torrential downpour has sent mice and rats scurrying for safe shelter weeks ahead of schedule, your local pest control experts from Viking Pest Control warn.
.Get a Fast, Free Estimate
Forced to flee rising flood waters, many mice and rats forced their way into homes, apartments and office buildings while the storm raged. Unfortunately for NJ, PA, MD, and DE residents, with summer waning, these noxious pests are unlikely to leave their comfortable new nests. Your local pest control experts at Viking Pest Control are warning residents not only to be on the lookout for signs of rodent infestation in garages, basements and kitchens, but to keep an eye out for rodent signs on upper floors. If your home or building flooded during or after the hurricane, mice and rats are likely to have climbed upward to escape rising water and could be nesting on upper floors or in attics.
What Signs Indicate I Have a Mouse Infestation?
- Black feces on counters and tables and inside drawers, cupboards and closets, particularly where food is present.
- Sticky yellow urine smears on counters. Mice are incontinent and dribble urine wherever they go.
- Holes chewed in clothing.
- Gnaw marks on cupboards and baseboards.
- Chewed holes in food boxes, food containers, birdseed bags and pet food bags.
- Scattered birdseed or pet food, particularly when mixed with rodent feces.
If you discover signs of mice or rat infestation, contact your local rodent control specialists at Viking Pest Control immediately.